Situated on the west side of the Nankumba Peninsula on the Southern end of Lake Malawi you can find Pumulani nestled in the lush hills amongst the trees and craggy outcrops. With ten lovely, comfortable villas, this is a great place to stop for a while and relax.
Dutch architect G. Hooft Graafland designed each of the villas individually adapting them to their own unique location. The gently curving lines of each spacious villa reflect the patterns and movements of the lake.
Each villa has a large bedroom, which opens out onto a private deck where early risers can enjoy the morning’s first rays. The bathrooms also offer splendid views and are well equipped with a bathtub, double shower and double sink. There is also a large lounge area.
The main lodge offers a spacious open restaurant with an undercover area, bar and fire pit. The infinity swimming pool is on a lower terraced deck. Three raised walkways with steps lead off from the central area to the villas and down to the beach.
The name Pumulani means “rest well” in the local Chichewa language, and that’s exactly what's on offer here – the chance to unwind in a beautiful and tranquil setting.
The beach lodge is a 3 hour scenic road transfer from Lilongwe or 40 minute light aircraft flight then further 20 minute road transfer. Connecting to the sister lodge Mkulumadzi in Majete Wildlife Reserve, it is a 5 hour road transfer.
Beach lodge, with ten villas (four twin, four king, one honeymoon & one family villa).
En-suite bathrooms with double basins and showers. Each has a bath tub as well. The honeymoon villa has a unique outdoor shower. Each villa has tea/coffee making facilities as well as a stocked minibar fridge.
On the water
· 40ft traditional, hand crafted dhow is a slow and relaxing way to enjoy the tranquillity of Lake Malawi. Whether it be on a early morning breakfast cruise or a magical sunset cruise.
· 2 speedboats can whisk you around the lake with various water activities such as water-skiing, wakeboarding and tubing. Or an exhilarating drive to secluded spots where you can jump out the boat and snorkel or dive taking in the clouds of tropical fish that inhabit the water.
· For the more experienced sailors there are two dhingys
· Take a guided walk from the lodge up into the hills enjoying the views and beauty as well as the wonderful birdlife. Coming down from the hills to the lake shore a kayak will meet you there for a gentle paddle back.
· Cycle down the hill from the lodge through the village and around the point where the kayaks will meet you for your paddle back.
· Enjoy the peace and quiet and relax under the shade of a parasol or tree on the beach with a good book.
· Take a guided walk through the village seeing and having the local traditions and rituals explained.
· Revel in the joys of the night sky with our incredible star gazer, it will revolutionise the way you look at the stars.
Safari in 'Big Five' Majete Wildlife Reserve before relaxing on the shores of Lake Malawi
A week long trip combining safari in Liwonde with time on the lake.
A three centre luxury trip combining Majete, Liwonde and Lake Malawi
Explore Malawi's beautiful southern region including Majete, the scenic Shire Highlands and Lake Malawi.